Sunday, December 6, 2009

I had a love affair with the interstate this weekend. it tried to talk me into driving clear down to vegas, but i told it that i loved utah too much. oddly, i realized afterwards that it was entirely true. the thing about the interstate that attracted me to it was that it makes you realize things: that twenty minutes could be twenty seconds, good friends are the kind that don't leave your brain, and that things will mostly always be alright. even if it is snowing. even if your hair is too short and notcurlyenough and there is a mess inside of your bedroom.

the weekend tried to steal my heart, too, but mainly it just made me tired. it took me down to provo, to remind me of the good times. instead, i fought back tears while a father figure, a friend, a leader, and a hero of mine announced to those in the dark that he has cancer. my heart broke all over again, remembering that it was real life. my God, thankfully, is huge, and he has something inside of this. i know it, and so does this incredible man. when i was ten, he let me come over all of the time, and when i became a teenager he took us on life-changing colorado trips. when he moved to provo, he somehow convinced my parents to come along, and when i moved to salt lake, he kept caring about me. he is the strongest man i have ever met, and i am blessed to call him a hero of mine. God is challenging us all through this. it is rocking us to the core, but ultimately that there is VICTORY in whatever happens.

that leaves last night, shopping and eating lotsofmeat and going to church, and today, sitting in a hot tub and watching someone make a ring. this is a crazy life. maybe i will let the interstate tempt me into going somewhere, but i can't tell it that my tank is running on empty again.


http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/stevemcinroy/
what a beautiful thing there is going there.

No comments: